Icons: Solange Knowles

Tuesday, May 13, 2014


Name: Solange Knowles
Occupation: singer/songwriter, of "Sandcastle Disco" and "Losing You" fame


Why I love her: I relate so much to her style evolution. When she was younger, she wasn't afraid to take crazy risks, and to try out anything that intrigued her, whether or not it was considered bad taste. As a person who went through both board shorts and a butterfly hair chopstick phase in middle school, I relate. 

"You can pull images of me from seven to 14 years ago and I was absolutely nuts," she says. "I have always been drawn to interesting pieces and colors, but I didn't quite know how to limit myself and make those statement pieces work."

- Solange, as told to Harper's Bazaar




Today I see her as the epitome of downtown cool - always edgy, always feminine, always looking put together even at the times when nothing that she's wearing seems to technically "go" together. It's clear  that her years of experimenting have paid off - you can see references from every decade, every continent, every style imaginable. And somehow all of those far reaching references never overpower her Solange-ness; you can still see that she runs the clothes. 




"I didn't have the confidence I have now during my teenage years. I had all of these wild ideas that I spent a lot of time trying to convey and convince myself of. But over time you evolve and become really, really comfortable with who you are. Don't apologize for it! Stand firm and stay consistent. It's okay to be versatile and play around, but make sure you really clue into what you're good at. If you there's something you have a strength in, hold tight to it."

-Solange, as told to Teen Vogue 







All images via Pinterest

  Facebook  Instagram  Twitter  Pinterest  Bloglovin

No comments :