Shady memories

Monday, June 17, 2013


Hat: H&M
Blouse: Anthropologie
Shorts: Anthropologie
Ring: gift, Francesca's (thanks Emma)
Bracelets: Anthropologie, gifts - Amrita Singh (thanks Alejandra)
Shoes: DSW, available here 
Nail polish: Essie "Clambake"

Summer dressing.



I pulled out this hat the other day and realized how many memories it holds. I bought it in New York when I was 19, on a summer road trip with some of my very best friends. New York was so unreal to me then - it seemed like a comic book that I was reading. I didn't think anybody could be fearless enough to make a life in a place so dense and bright. Everything inanimate vibrated somehow, everyone was neon, whether or not they wanted to be. The street lights and fire escapes and subways and car horns...everything was life or death. It's a memory that excites and terrifies me.

I bought this hat to block the sun, and it acted as a visual buffer for me during that trip: a layer between me and the city. When I'm in New York I always feel like I'm on the brink of panic - and it's dumb, but having a veil kept me a little more calm. 






My love for these shoes borders on psychotic. They are PERFECT.



LAST SEEN:
Shirt, in a basically identical outfit: here 



Arm gems. 
Amrita Singh bangles available here,
crazy Anthro washer bracelet available here (brown/gold sold out, but there are others). 


3 comments :

Alyssa said...

Being on the brink of panic is not dumb, this place is frenetic! I've lived here my whole life and often feel that way.

Marie said...

You're brave, lady! I haven't been in a few years now, I sometimes wonder if it'd be any calmer next time around...!

Carrie said...

This is just about the perfect summer outfit. I love how simple it is, yet all the little details - the texture of the hat, the stripes, the intricate shoes - complement each other. Clothing/accessories can definitely serve as "armor" or a security blanket! :)