Never More Myself

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Jacket: Urban Outfitters, available here
Shirt: Urban Outfitters, available here 
Jeans: Banana Republic
Ring: gift, Francesca's (or Cartier if you're Jay-Z), thanks Emma
Socks: Anthropologie
Necklace: gift, Love Lill (thanks Kristin)
Shoes: CoachBelt: thrifted
Lipstick: Wet n Wild "Purty Persimmon"


This is a big statement,
but clothes have never made me feel more like myself than this jacket.


I bought it in San Francisco last week.
It's a perfect color,
it's very slouchy
(and also too big),
and I feel both femme-y and boy-y in it.


Add this jacket to my $7.00 weird slouchy jeans, and my weird slouchy moccasins, and I'm home.

It's funny - I keep thinking about when I was a kid, when I suddenly had hips and boobs (and was WAY too young to know what to do with either), and all I could do about it was wear jerseys and boy's jeans, or the unfortunate girl's jeans that said "HUSKY" in the back tag. The other girls wore skinny capris and leggings and skirts  and spaghetti straps - things I couldn't even fathom at the time. Even though that was one of the more uncomfortable periods of my life, something about the sudden and terrible appearance of my body showed me to my mind/spirit.

I may be generally unathletic, and I may have a lot of girly tendencies, but I never feel more like myself than when I'm wearing boyish clothes and not caring what anybody thinks.



I obviously didn't wear this today, since it was NEGATIVE ELEVEN DEGREES, but I wore it in California and you can look for me wearing it all through April. 


How much of your style stems from your awkward years?

It's probably a solid 60% for me...

4 comments :

Rebecca said...

I like the jacket, and it looks like it will go with just about anything.

Carrie said...

It's such a thrill to find an item of clothing or outfit that feels like home. You pull off slouch so well and that jacket will be fun to remix. :)
I have always loved a quirky print, and while I got away from it a while, my love for prints is back with a vengeance ... :)

E said...

I want those shoes! They look so comfy (and stylish)!

Laura Mullins said...

You're so adorable. I love the jacket, too! Perfect amount of comfort and boy-y-ness. Less of my style comes from my awkward years (the lost years of 6th and 7th grade), but that's because I was obsessed with Legally Blonde and wore WAY too much pink. Also, I was a brat haha.