Best of Chicago 2012, a love list, with photos

Tuesday, December 25, 2012

West Loop exploring with Emma

Chicago was a fluke decision in my life (yes, a "fluke" is how I describe my choice of college). I still remember bursting into tears of joy/fear in my parent's car while driving down the Dan Ryan, looking at the skyline getting closer. I really had no idea what I was getting myself into. Like any good relationship, Chicago and I have had our disagreements over the past eight years. And like any great relationship, I fall more in love with her every day.

Architectural Boat Tour, never gets old

Underbelly
Footprints in the Lurie Garden
Here's a list of places I had fun in 2012.

Whether you live here or you're visiting,
these places are all worth a look.


Opposites Attract
The underside of the el is impossible to NOT photograph, I swear

Alcohol


Walls
Belmont Harbor/Skyline
Watching a soccer league in Uptown as the sun goes down

Food

Another boat tour picture, so sue me
Tracks on tracks on tracks

A gazebo

Fun
Chicago Architecture Boat Tour
Windy City Soul Club at the Empty Bottle
Soul Summit at Double Door
various massive downtown block parties
shows at the Bridgeport Art Center
Ravinia
Movies in the park, including but not limited to An American in Paris and ET
extended walks in Graceland Cemetery 
picnics in Lurie Garden
crazy fourth of July fireworks in Winnemac Park
Reggae night at Subterranean
the view of downtown from the Shedd Aquarium 

Who doesn't love a dingy el station?

And a few non-Chicago highlights....
The entire island of Kauai, Hawaii
Woodhouse, The Red Lion, Blackbird, in San Francisco
The Standard, Misfits, Varnish in Los Angeles


Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year to you!

3 comments :

Madeleine said...

Mmm, love these photos. Also, you are a rock star for the comprehensive list of everything delicious, festive, and fun in Chicago. I can't wait to visit. :)

Chic Therapy said...

very lovely pictures. Happy new year!

South Looper said...

beautiful pics!