An ode to Robyn

Thursday, June 09, 2011



I'm so, so, so late to the party on this one.

For anybody else who is behind the times, Robyn is a Swedish electro-pop genius bad ass queen. If you like pop music, if you like dancing, if you like honesty, if you like the struggle, if you like music that lives in moral grey areas...you'll love her.

Here's the video for the first song I heard by her:
"Dancing on My Own"



I've been listening almost exclusively to her 2010 album Body Talk for the past few months (maybe this explains my lack of music posts...). I can't remember the last time an album had such a large impact and presence in my life.

I feel like Robyn does what GaGa wishes she could. (Though I loved GaGa when she first came out, I've grown bored with her schtick/her music. Has anybody else noticed that "Bad Romance" and "Judas" are EXACTLY the same song?? I know that people say all electro pop sounds the same, people even sometimes say that about Robyn, but seriously, those songs are no different. Like, as not different as "California Gurls" and "Tik Tok". Wait how did this post turn into a GaGa bitch fest?? Sorry...)

The music video for "Call Your Girlfriend" came out last week. I can't say much about it except that I laughed, I cried, I rooted for her, I fell in love.

WATCH IT.



It was impossible to pick just one song, so here are a few of my favorites:

"Dancing on My Own" - Robyn
"Get Myself Together" - Robyn
"Hang With Me" - Robyn
"Call Your Girlfriend" - Robyn
[scroll to the bottom & click the link by the little red flashing arrow]


No comments :