Recital Outfit, #1

Tuesday, March 08, 2011


Headband: Forever 21
Dress: Banana Republic
Belt: gift, Ann Taylor (thanks Mom)
Shoes: Payless


As you may know if you've been reading this blog for a looooong time, I am what I like to think of as a "Recovering Violinist". My whole life all I wanted was to be a musician, but I ran into a bunch of negative musical experiences, and as a result walked away from it for several years.

That being said, I am about to give my first recital since I was 19 years old. I'm excited and panicky and I absolutely cannot wait. Here I am, true to form, trying to pick an outfit before I've even picked a venue :) I'll be posting a few different outfit options, and I'd love any/all opinions to help with the decision making process!

[image via]

Outfit Possibility #1 is inspired by this Oscar de la Renta dress Carrie Bradshaw wore during the sixth season of Sex and the City. Her artist boyfriend Aleksander Petrovsky takes her to the opera and gifts this gem to her before they go. Petrovsky then asks for her hand in a dance in the Lincoln Center courtyard, in front of a bunch of people, next to a string quartet. Carrie proceeds to faint because she's completely overwhelmed by the absurd romance of it all. Which is legit, I would have fainted too. Buuuut I digress.



I bought this hot pink number at BR last weekend, on final sale for $22 - not bad, considering I'd been wanting it since January when it was going for $110. The fit isn't as exquisite as the color, so I added a wide patent leather belt to help keep everything in place.



The big challenge with recital outfits is that the accessories have to be very minimal - no necklaces (could make it tough to hold my violin), no bracelets (can't have them rattling around throwing off my rhythm), no rings (they'd get in the way of my fingers). I figured a pretty headband might be a nice way to make it fancier.



What do you guys think? Any other musicians out there with recital outfit advice? I'll be posting a couple more options soon!


PS. Changed up my layout a bit in the past couple of days, I hope you like it!

No comments :