Mixing up the seasons

Monday, November 29, 2010


Hat: Banana Republic
Necklace: World Market
Earrings: Claire's
Shirtdress: thrifted
Belt: Ann Taylor (thanks Mom)
Tights: Calvin Klein
Socks: H&M
Shoes: Banana Republic
Nailpolish: OPI "Kennebunk-Port"


This outfit was inspired by the dress - I found it this morning rifling through a thrift store and I'm pretty excited about it. I'd been eyeing a similar one at Banana, but this one is a fleecier, more cozy material (not to mention it cost $50 less!). It's a very wintry piece so I decided to try to mix in some of my warmer weather accessories to keep it from looking too holiday-y. Hence, my summer fedora and stacked grey heels making their first appearance in months :)



I've been dying for an outfit to try tights/socks/heels with. I think the subtle green and light grey go nicely together. They do a great job of softening up the tights, which can otherwise look pretty witchy. Not that witchy is always bad...



I'm not sure where I'll wear this ensemble yet - maybe work, maybe out!



This necklace was such a major find - I tend to have very good luck looking in the World Market jewelry section. The earrings are probably about 7 years old from Claire's - one of the only stores I know of that consistently carries a selection of clip-ons. You have to dig to find ones that aren't too young, but when you find them it's worth it.



Sorry. I couldn't resist. This picture cracks me up!

7 comments :

Elizabeth said...

Your thrifting skills are admirable! I need to make it up to Chicago soon so I can partake in your thrifting luck!

P.S. You look great - loving the socks over tights. Still wondering whether it's appropriate for work, but it's definitely cozy enough for weekend wear!

xo

Kayla said...

This is such a beautiful ensemble. I love how everything doesn't match but goes together at the same time. I think this is the best kind of "matching." I agree with Elizabeth (hehe) socks over tights with open toe shoes rocks. I have been dying for those BR shoes forever and now I wish I had bought them back in the day, sigh. Keep rockin your stuff, miss thang.

Meagan said...

I adore those tights!! Great look!
-Meagan
http://spunkychateau.blogspot.com

maihit05 said...

KITTEN!!!!!! and also can we PLEASE go shopping

Lauren said...

I ADORE this look Marie; it's totally kooky and random but all together, it goes together perfectly. Hear hear! to not matching! <3

Hand drawn:
My Closet in Sketches

xs said...

cute kitty. i like all of the dimensions of your outfit. the tights and sock combo is definitely unique.

Marie said...

Thanks guys!