In the middle of a dream

Monday, October 18, 2010

[image via last.fm]

Today's can't-stop-listening-to-it ditty comes from John Lennon (who would have just recently celebrated his 70th birthday!). I am a ridiculous Beatles fan and have been since an early age, but I never really listened to any of the individual Beatles' solo music until the beginning of college. It's pointless to try to decide whose was best, I won't even bother to try.

I do however think that "Oh Yoko!", from Lennon's album Imagine, is perfect in every single possible way. The sunny piano and guitars, his breezy lovestrong vocals, the brassy harmonica...it's just a joy to listen to. It doesn't have much in common with the rest of the album, but I think it's wonderful in its own way.

I've been thinking quite a lot of John - on my birthday trip to New York I was able to see the Dakota, the apartment building where he was shot. It was overwhelming and strange. I can't help but wonder how things would be different if he'd lived.

"Oh Yoko!" - John Lennon
[scroll to the bottom & click the orange download link]

Dakota. New York City October 1 2010

No comments :