T-t-t-tip on the tightrope

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Everything about Janelle Monáe is badass. Her voice, her hair, her personal style, her dancing, her incredible blend of musical genres. The music video for "Tightrope" is so cool to look at - muted colors, awesome clothes, and some of the sweetest dancing I've seen in a while.

I'm hoping Janelle picks up the fan base she deserves soon - she is so good at bending expectations and mixing styles that I don't think there was a ready-made fanbase waiting for her when she broke out. No doubt this video will bring her loads of new listeners.

Check it out below, buy her music here.

7 comments :

Anonymous said...

I LOVE HER BOWTIE. -Claire

Cecilia Turner said...

who doesn't wish to be able to dance like this! love your blog-is so unaffected.

Lauren said...

BAHHHH this video is amazing. I love everything about it, especially because there are some major sartorial inspirations to be had here! Shrunken tuxes, bowties, bowler hats, brogues. Count it.

Hand drawn:
myclosetinsketches.com

Gregaria said...

The dancing is the best. :)

Marie said...

She really is so talented.

Gregaria said...

Had to comment again: I had this song running through my head all day at work yesterday. :)

Marie said...

Haha, awesome Gregaria!