Edie-Glam/Man-Pants

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Hat: vintage/gift (thanks, Mom)
Shirt: H&M
Necklaces: 1: Banana Republic 2: vintage/gift (thanks, Gram)
Belt: J Crew
Jeans: Banana Republic
Bracelet: vintage/gift (thanks Gram)
Shoes: Payless


I've said it before, I'll say it again: when you work retail, your wardrobe dreams are just so much bigger than your closet realities, it's unfair. The upside is that it makes you thrifty: this outfit cost a total of $60 dollars. The shirt and jeans were both on deep final sales ($5 and $18 respectively, and the shirt was a steal from my sister!), I found the belt at a second-hand store for $4, got the shoes for $15, and paid $18 for the BR necklace. The rest of the pieces were hand-me-downs from a couple of the incredibly stylish women who started all my obsessions: my mom and grandmother.


This a very easy, glamorous ensemble designed for an evening out. I almost never wear pants at all, let alone jeans, but these are so soft and well-cut I can make an exception. The contrast of extremely dressy pieces with such laid-back jeans creates just the look I was hoping for: the top half reads 60s Edie-glam, the bottom half reads distressed man-pants. Edie-glam-man-pants. AKA, my dream.


This belt is a major player in my wardrobe - it goes with everything. The necklace has already been featured on this here blog. The hat was given to me a few weeks ago when my Mom returned from her 35th anniversary trip to the Grand Canyon with my awesome Dad - I can only imagine how beautiful she looked in it. As for the bracelet, I have an incredible picture of my grandparents sitting together in their wedding attire just before their ceremony, and she is wearing it on her left arm. She is perfection.


Here's the outfit on, and the only good shot I got of the bracelet and shoes. The shoes, by the way, are a deep purple and have ruffles all over the toes - so fun! (Sorry for the grainy pictures, my camera and I have had better days together.)

4 comments :

Jee said...

Love! I hope that one day your wardrobe dreams meet up with your closet realities. Soon! Can't wait to see what you're wearing next :)

Jenn said...

Love the whole outfit! Really cute.

Lauren said...

This is adorable! I love the silhouette. And that hat is the bomb dot com.

Hand drawn:
myclosetinsketches.com

Madeline said...

I LOVE hats like that. I have a similar one, from Auntie Annie. It's Australian, and the perfect sun hat. I also love love love that you're wearing a bracelet from Gram. Mmm. :)