Isabela Capeto Winter 2010

Monday, May 03, 2010


I very much appreciate when designers clue us into their inspiration. Let's be serious, when given confusing enough material people will cite ANYTHING as an influence for a collection, if only to have something to ground us. (If it's early enough in a day, I wouldn't put it past myself to cite "the endless, useless existence of red stripes on white plastic straws" as a legitimate source of inspiration.) So as I was checking out the work of Brazilian designer Miss Isabela Capeto I was happy to see a couple of notes on the collections right there on her website.

The art nerd in me was even more excited to see this quote there, under her collection "Militar" for Winter 2010: "There is no reason not to consider the world as one gigantic painting. I put my trust in the materials that confront me, because they put me in touch with the unknown. It is then that I begin to work - when I don't have the comfort of certainty." - Robert Rauschenberg.

It goes on to talk about the ideas of technology, unlimited access, and filtering. As a viewer (and a fan), I put my trust in Capeto's pieces as Rauschenberg suggested, just to see where the adventure would go. I'm happy to say it went only wonderful places. The website goes on to list all the major colors, fabrics, prints, materials, and forms used throughout the collection. She presents her collection as more than a 15-minute spectacle: all these bits of information act as an outline for understanding, and create a small net to catch us as we float adrift through a seemingly bottomless ocean of information (and fashion). Beyond this, she cites BY NAME all of the other people involved in making her collection/show a success, which I think is very very cool. Much respect, Isabela.

As for specific notes on the collection, lots of highs and very few lows. Adore the dress in look 1, love the earrings in look 2 even more. Overall favorites include look 6 (page 7 - tiger print dress with peach and black belt), look 20 (page 20 - military green silk tank with coral splatter pattern, grey waist belt and metallic striped pants), and look 22 (page 22 - orange white tiger pattern tunic dress with cinched waist and gold jewlery). I heard a rumor that Capeto's designs are actually available in Chicago at Blake, but alas, I don't have the cash to fund a trip to Blake. Maybe someday......

I'm fairly sure I'm only babbling now - I'll leave you to explore the looks yourself.

No comments :