Joe Casely-Hayford Spring/Summer 2010

Thursday, April 08, 2010

[Photo by Ben Weller]

I must admit, I know almost nothing about menswear. I love looking at it, I love seeing it on men, I love seeing it on women even more. I can look at an entire outfit and understand it as a unit, but when the pieces are separated and hung I have no clue where to begin. As a result I typically only understand menswear when it is presented on a runway or in a lookbook - when it is a completed outfit. I know, it's silly, and if I put in the time and effort I could be thoroughly versed in the combination of parts to make the whole, but alas, I haven't the time to spend.

SO, in light of this, here is a post about a man who makes gorgeous, edgy clothes for gorgeous, edgy men: Joe Casely-Hayford. He's been around since the 80s and has dressed rockers from Liam Gallagher to Tori Amos to Lou Reed. I first noticed him when he was also designing for women - he did a collection that featured trench coats tucked into high-waisted skirts a few years back. He is currently working with his son Charlie (right, above) on a line exclusively focused on menswear, and I am loving the Spring/Summer '1o collection.

A few of my favorites:
Left: the pattern on the shirt, the lay of the collar on the trench. Shorts with the trench. On the model on the right I am obsessed with the cropped, bunched pants/long jacket combination. The band on his arm is also gorgeous and appears in several of the other looks.


I love the chunky shoe, another common thread in this collection. Again, the cropped and bunched pants coupled with a blazer is awesome. The collar on the shirt is gorgeous, and the scarf around the neck gives it just enough haughtiness to work. I adore the color of the pants/jacket.

A combination of a bunch of the elements I like: cropped pants, blazer, chunky shoes, white pattern.

One third British colonial museum, one third London street, one third sparkling runway. I love the high cuff and short vest on the model on the right. I also love the short sleeves with the woven peeking underneath on both models.


No comments :