Drinks, Foods

Monday, March 22, 2010

Since losing my Violet Hour virginity a couple weeks ago, I've been obsessed with the idea of there being other jewel box bars hiding inside shitty doorways. Most of the places I've had great gastrointestinal experiences at have been rather run down, actually. It seems oddly fitting for Chicago - we're a city that doesn't care too much about appearances, and while this bugs me sometimes, I guess it means we know what's really important: food, and drink.

I’ve been of age for a year and a half, but I’ve done a terrible job of taking advantage of Chicago. There is some great shit here that I need to start paying attention to. Here’s my list: 8 places I will go to/review before June 1st.

Blackbird – I absolutely cannot afford to be eating here. Which makes me want it more, of course. Whatever, I’ll go for lunch.

The Bad Apple – How is it possible that this bar is literally down the street from me, and I still haven’t been? Burgers have been rumored to be quite delicious, I’ll consider it a warm up to my inevitable journey to Kuma’s, which, lets be serious, is more hyped than any other burger place, ever, in the history of burger places.

Late Bar – 80s new wave bar. Quite honestly, I’m only curious about this place because of it’s extremely mixed word-of-mouth. I’ve heard everything from “Best Dance Party in the City” to “Fuck this Fucking Place The Owners Are Assholes and the Music Sucks”. Whether it’s great or awful, I just want to know for sure.

The Red Canary – I’m mostly curious about this place because of it’s interior. As I previously mentioned, I like jewel boxes, and I hear that this place is lavish and sparkly on the inside. Add excellent food/drink choices to the mix, and I am extremely curious.

The Whistler – Rumored to be a less trendy/expensive version of Violet Hour. Anxious to try the Penicillin, as it was adapted from a recipe from my favorite Manhattan speakeasy, Milk & Honey. Perhaps I’ll go on a night when there is a band playing.

Green Door Tavern – I’ve heard quite a few positive things about this place. Former speakeasy, housed in a building built in 1872. History = good. The other bars in the area I’ve been to have been subpar, so fingers crossed GDT doesn’t disappoint.

Tango Sur (no website)– I’ve been in the attached grocery store several times, the selection they offer is fantastic and the employees are really nice. This has always seemed like the most romantic restaurant in the city to me – there are no lights, only tons and tons of candles, and almost no room to walk around, and an excellent wine list.

Avec – lots of beer I am very curious about, and a wide array of small plates that sound delish. Especially the chorizo-stuffed dates with bacon and pepper-tomato sauceohmygodI’mdroolingasI’mtyping.

Live in Chicago? Have suggestions? Have cautionary tales about any of the above places? Clue me in in the comments.

(Also, if someone important would care to use their influence to get me a reservation at Alinea, I’d appreciate it. Thanks.)

No comments :